Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Second Five: Salter Grove Memorial Park

I decided on an excursion to Salter Grove today, out of curiosity more than anything.  I'd taken pictures there last July 4, and wondered how different the shore and water would look when everything - including my demeanor, since I'd had a stressful day at the office - wasn't quite so lush, warm and bright.

As predicted, the sky and weather upon my arrival reflected my mood: gray, chilly and dismal.  I walked around the grove to some of the high places I'd used as vantage points during my July visit, but couldn't find anything worth a place in the Five.  My spirits were as soggy as the ground beneath my feet.  I did notice that the lack of rampant vines and brambles afforded a perfect opportunity for me to get closer to the shore, so I went for it. 

 I like to imagine this bit of land as a place where local scalawags may have hidden their spoils.  Catching the ducks in the foreground was an added bonus.

 A rocky path was my only passage to the sea wall.

 I was amazed by this huge piece of wood: how long had it been there?  Was it washed up on the rocks by a storm, or placed there by human hands?

 After navigating the rocks and a crooked wooden bridge, I finally arrived at the sea wall.
 
 I'm proudest of this shot: I decided to get as close to the water's edge as I could, and took this picture just as the swan was getting ready to dive for a snack.

By the time I'd taken the last picture in today's Five, my hands were red and stiff from the cold, and the wind had whipped my hair into a frenzy (note: wear a hood next time, girl!).  However, my mind was clear and still, and I felt like the day's stresses had been thrown over the sea wall.  I walked back to my car with a renewed sense of purpose, and felt better than I had all day.

My ears still ache, and my hands aren't quite back up to temperature, but it was a productive adventure. 

I'm not sure where my next trip will take me, or when.  After today's mind-clearing walkabout, however, I'm definitely looking forward to the journey.

Until next time,

- Laurie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment