Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Fourth Five: Wickford Art Festival

One of the hardest things about writing a blog, I've noticed, isn't the writing itself: it's finding the motivation to get out there and create some subject matter!  After yet another shamefully long stretch of inactivity and with the boys away at camp, I ventured out into the world today as a solo act and decided to visit the Wickford Art Festival.  The Festival, featuring artists from around New England, is hosted every July by the Wickford Art Association and celebrates its 49th year this weekend.

As I traveled south to Wickford Village, I was determined to find a Five - after all, what better place to be inspired to create art than at an art festival?   I immediately resolved not to take pictures of other people's work, instead taking a different approach: finding art in the secret, hidden places where the "real" art wasn't.


As soon as I parked the car and started walking down Main Street toward the Festival booths, I noticed the beautiful landscaping that surrounded nearly every historic home along the way.  The varying heights of the plantings and flowers in this garden were particularly attractive.


I'm a bit claustrophobic, and after walking around for a while was in desperate need of an escape from the crowded sidewalks of Brown Street.  Thank you, Old Library Park.


 I was enchanted by these statues in Old Library Park, since I love to read.  While I'm sure that vandals made off with the boy's book, I prefer to think that he's staring in disbelief after his little sister swiped his book and made it her own.


 Another unexpected treat an Old Library Park: a faded old bird.  Its lack of color was a marked contrast to the riot of blooms and foliage surrounding it.


The final picture in today's Five was taken, aptly enough, behind a store called The Secret Garden.  This wonderful view was hidden away down a flagstone and gravel path; seeing such an open, serene area after the clutter and noise of the Festival was very calming.


After this week's celebration of Independence Day, it was quite liberating to exert my own independence a bit and spend some time doing something just for me.  I'm optimistic that today's venture was enough to recharge my creative battery and keep the Take Five Project moving in the right direction.

Until next time,

- Laurie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment